East Palestine is a village in eastern Columbiana County, Ohio. The population was 4,721 at the 2010 census. It is located along the state border with Pennsylvania. East Palestine is located in the Salem, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the southern regions of the greater Mahoning Valley.
The town was founded in 1828 and incorporated as a city in 1875. Nearby clay pits supported a pottery industry; the W. S. George Pottery Company was formed in 1909 from the East Palestine Pottery Company and operated in the town until the 1950s. Formerly, East Palestine was called Mechanicsburg, but was changed to “East Palestine” as part of a religious nomenclature in that area such as New Galilee and Enon Valley, Pennsylvania. Mechanicsburg is today a name given to a village in Champaign County, near the opposite border of the state from East Palestine.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article East Palestine, OH, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.